For 15 years I was the Ambassador for Bubba Gump Shrimp. My primary duty was to be the diplomatic face for the shrimp restaurant to the public. What did I do? Mostly I sat on the bench and met the public. I’d speak with individual after individual about where they were from and what their life was like. I’d meet their family and friends. As a representative for the restaurant, my job was to make a strong, positive impression and leave them with a good feeling about the brand – and their life.
While I would mention the restaurant and invite people in for a meal, I never felt like I was selling. Instead, what I was doing was creatively engaging and providing an experience. I enabled people to engage with the brand. I permitted people to let down their guard. I allowed small groups to simply experience the moment. I was an ambassador – I was not a salesman.
Today I offer that same type of service to other businesses. Here is how it works.
10,000 foot view
- Serve as Ambassador for a business or corporation or corporate division
- Exclusive representation within an industry
- Internally focused to the employees and vendor partners. External representation within your specific industry
- Deliver minimum of 10x value/results for fees earned
5,000 foot view
- Special communication projects: Internal marketing campaigns; video campaigns; individual and small group interactions, corporate meetings and conferences
- Combine the corporate message with my own message
- Corporate Message: growth; recruitment; culture/values; work-life balance; hard work
- Steve’s Message: change leadership; constant change; life-long learning; Gumption; personal responsibility
2,500 foot view
- Work as an outsider/consultant
- Work on a project basis with the goal of creating an ongoing, 10-year working relationship
- Start small by satisfactorily completing a single, specific communication project. Then another. Then another…
1,000 foot view (Business objectives)
- Be the voice (internal spokesperson) for the CEO and leadership
- Work with CEO/leadership on strategic messaging
- Maintain consistent messaging from corporate leadership to employees
- Work directly with employees
- Serve as an outsider feedback loop between leadership and employees (strict confidentiality required)
- Be the ears for the CEO/leadership; be a voice for the employees
1,000 foot view (Steve’s strengths)
- Strategic thinking and message/event planning
- Connecting with people in a genuine, heartfelt way
- Balance long-term objectives with short-term realities
This is a subtle – yet significant – shift from my business model of the past 6-7 years. This is a consultancy model. It’s a project model that solves specific communication challenges.
Speaking and hosting are still part of the services that I deliver, but they are tools used to solve difficult communication challenges. Gump is no longer the purpose, but an extremely valuable tool to achieve change objectives by breaking down barriers and resistance.
I begin 2017 with the realization that to best help my clients change, I needed to change myself.
This post was originally published on SpeakingGump.com on January 5, 2017.
It has been updated and edited to appear here on ChangeByGumption.com
Communicator, Forrest Gump lookalike, Strategist
– Brand Ambassador, Change Agent, Speaker, Writer
– Gump-like Messaging, Simplicity, Values
– Big Picture, Bottom Line, Visual Mapping
Learn more about Steve here.
more 'Brand Ambassador' posts
What is the role of a Corporate Ambassador? What is the first job and order of priority? I believe a Corporate Ambassador has two primary areas that a major impact can be made: InternalExternal Internal is within the company and…
When I worked as an independent contractor for Bubba Gump for 15 yrs as their Forrest Gump impersonator/lookalike, I operated under a spirit of exclusivity. I say spirit as it was more implied and understood than specifically spelled out in…
For fifteen years I worked for Bubba Gump Shrimp as their Forrest Gump impersonator/look-alike. I was a brand representative. An ambassador. I was a messenger who delivered the concept of fun and good times. Shrimp and delicious food was the…
Forrest Gump had the ability to make the complex seem simple. Life is like a box of chocolatesStupid is as stupid doesA promise is a promiseJenny and me was like peas and carrots In today’s world of infinite choices, urgent…
Large companies have many different means to communicate important messages internally within their company. Memoranda, company-wide emails, blogs, newsletters, a direct message from the president, internal video, and large group meetings. The more important the message, the more likely it…